Sunday, 14 April 2013

The Secret Origins of V/H/S (AKA The Film That Stole an Original Concept from Youtube)


Found footage anthology film V/H/S made waves last year, with a massive marketing push by Bloody Disgusting assuring us that, though they owned a stake in it, it was still a legitimately great film. The truth showed this to be complete hogwash, with the film being very average and very forgettable, but it had its high points too. One of those high points was the final segment, where some young men go to a house party but find no one there, and stumble across... well, something. I don't wanna spoil it for those who haven't seen it. My point is it was one of the better parts of the entire film, but while watching it, I was also pretty shocked at what I was seeing. Not because it was scary. Not because it was captivating. No, it was because it was identical to a fantastic little video I'd seen on Youtube YEARS before. 

For those who have seen V/H/S and want to know what I mean, and for those who are reading this in the dark at 2am and would like something to give them the willies, have a look at this:


That video (purporting to be REAL DEMONS caught on tape) was uploaded in 2009, 3 years before V/H/S was released (and assumedly a good year or 2 before the segment in question was made). I have looked to see if anyone else has been annoyed by the 'homage' in question, but so far, nothing. If the maker of that video was involved in V/H/S (which I don't think they were) or the film gave it acknowledgement, things would be a different story, but as it stands, in my eyes, V/H/S takes its best moment from an original source and is hoping no one has noticed.

Here's some grabs from V/H/S itself, for the curious. I rest my case.


I'm going to go scour Youtube to find what videos they will be copying for V/H/S 2.