Sunday, 3 February 2013

I think I owe an apology (sort of)...


Over a year ago, I wrote a post where I went to town on Adam Green and his slasher love letter Hachet. I am not going to go back on my opinion of that film. Far from it. I rewatched it recently, and still hated it. But I also rewatched what I consider a modern classic, Frozen, and more importantly, the making of Frozen found on the Blu Ray and DVD, and after some thought, I want to offer Adam Green an apology.

This is good reason.

Frozen is possibly once of the best horrors, or hey, even just thrillers in general. It deserves to be said in the same breath as films like Fargo or Misery, something that should always be on the tip of the pop culture tongue. I don't feel like it got that, and this saddens me deeply. It is a masterfully crafted film, with incredible performances and neigh a frame that is poor (there is one bit that is unintentionally out of focus, but the performances are so strong you just don't care). There is only one person I have met who didn't like it, and their reasons for disliking it almost led me to believe they were watching a different film. This is a genius piece, through and through.

As much as Hatchet is a blatant homage to horror with a hip and comic approach, ready to be out of fashion before it leaves the editing room, Frozen is its antithesis, with more in common with greats like Hitchcock. I truly believe this film will age with the likes of The Birds or the David Cronenberg canon as a film that seriously defines the best of a generation, and portraying a tale in our age that proves to be timeless.

Meh.

I know that Hatchet has its audience, but for me, it is a film of failed potential. I cannot deny it has heart. Oodles and oodles of heart. But you know what else had an incredible amount of heart? Frozen. It just isn't so obvious, because it is a frankly more mature film that is controlled in its ways. But when watching the making of Frozen, it becomes abundantly apparent; Adam Green is a real fan. I did know this before, but seeing the passion he put in first hand really made the difference. He isn't just a one trick pony, giving reference to those before him (there are plenty of popular directors people will complain do this), but has actually given something truly great to the genre that will, if there is a God, be reference by the next generation of filmmakers.

If you didn't get it, I liked Frozen.

So, where does this leave us? I have a lot of respect for Adam Green thanks to Frozen. I appreciate the love the man has for the genre from his other films (including Grace, which I also didn't like, but hey, it had a lot of It's Alive references running through it), but I have all these films he is compiling into his own features. If I want them, I will put on those DVDs. For my money, he is best when he is treading original ground. And you know what? Personality counts. I will put up with the Hatchets of this world if it means that I will also get the Frozens of the world.

What I'm trying to say is; Adam Green, will you marry me?